Skip to main content

Interviewing Author laura wagstaff





Interviewing Author laura wagstaff


Q1. Tell us about yourself. What are your favorite books to read?

A. I am dyslexic and I have written little children's stories for years because as well as the usual bad spelling etc my dyslexia causes my sentences to rhyme unless I concentrate hard to stop it happening. 

I am a nursery nurse and a governor at my local school and whilst working with the children across the settings it has become apparent to me that the children with learning disabilities and those from disadvantaged backgrounds seem to have lower aspirations and confidence in their own abilities. I was discussing it with my husband and I decided that incase my daughter is dyslexic like me, and for all the struggling children I work with, that I would self publish one copy of one of my stories so I could say 'I'm very dyslexic and I published a book so you can do anything!'

I set about finding an illustrator and long story short the one I chose I couldn't afford but she asked to see my manuscripts. She came back and told me she loved my stories and explained that she owns an illustrating company Farm Dog Design but she also owns a publisher called Farm Dog Books and that she wanted to publish my books for me!

My first book 'Pull A Funny Face' is about a T-REX who wants friends but the other dinosaurs are scared of him because he looks fierce. He meets a frog who suggests he could try pulling funny faces and this helps him make friends with the other dinosaurs.

My book is aimed at promoting inclusion by teaching children that they should include everyone in their games no matter how 'different' they may appear. Also, I hope to break down barriers for shy children by getting them engaged with the story...who can resist pulling a funny face!

This book will be out mid-august. My second and third book should be out by Christmas and the last 3 by summer 2020. Pull A Funny Face has already won an honorable mention kids shelf book award for its front cover. 



I worked for Harper Collins Publishers for a while and massively broadened the spectrum of books I read by literally reading any books I came across. My old school favorite though is obviously Harry Potter! It was the first series of books I ever read and it made me want to read more books so I will always be grateful for that! 


Q2. Where did the inspiration to write come from? 


A. I have written stories for years but I decided to make a book only a few months ago.


Q3. How did you come up with the titles of your books? 

A. My 2-year-old Molly is an only child who can be shy with new people. Her way of making new friends over the past 8 months has been to run up to people and shout 'pull a funny face!' Whilst pulling the below face at them! Hence the name of my book and the influence for the face on the front cover!

Q4. Anything you're currently working in 2019? 

A. I have another book based on children's mental health called 'The Adventures of Spiny Norman' coming out just before Xmas so I will be pushing sales for that in January. I also have a book called 'Cutlass Carl' about a pirate who remains to become a policeman, A book called 'Barmy Boogie' about a dog needing rehoming in a pet shelter which is to raise money for the ASPCA and a book called 'Christmas Magic' that is to teach children that Christmas is about more than presents and all will be published before fall 2020. 

Q5. How long have you been writing? 

A. Since I was 15 and my English teacher thought my GCSE poems were good enough to enter a competition which I won an award for. It pushed me to want to write more.

Q6. What advice would you like to give to other authors?

A. Do what you want to do and never give up. You are all creative and wonderful people so get your imaginations down on paper to inspire the next generation! 

Q7. Where can we connect with you online?

A. Her book is now on Amazon?

UK link: Pull A Funny Face https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1513653237/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uGAvDbXN57YF5

US link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1513653237/ref
website 

https://www.farmdogbooks.com/product/pull-a-funny-face/

Facebook page @Laurawagstaffauthor

For anyone who buys my book please find my page on facebook or Instagram ' pullafunnyfacebook ' and post a photo of you and your families best funny faces! Let's spread some joy! 😀 

Q8. Do you plan on writing any more books in the future? 

A. Yes.

Q9.How many books have you written?

A. I will have 5 out by October next year.

Q10.Did you go to college to be a writer?

A. I am in the UK so I went to college to study English language, literature, health, and social care and psychology but for my degree, I am studying Eary Years.

Thank you for reading! Please feel free to add me on facebook or Instagram

 PS. My Instagram page is laura_wagstaff.  
my facebook  Laura Wagstaff my book cover is my profile 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read? A. I’m 61 years of age and was born in the Northern Textile Town of Huddersfield in England where I still live with my partner. I like many genres of books, but I don’t like anything too dark; before I retired I worked for many years in Mental Health Services in the UK, so I had more than my fill of ‘life’, and the ups and downs it can throw at people. So, I tend to go for books that offer escapism, I also like history, autobiographies, and biographies. At the moment I’m enjoying the fictional book ‘The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates. I say I’m retired, but I now consider myself to be an author, I treat it as a full-time job, working on my books for several hours most days. Q2. when did you decide you were going to write a book? A. I retired from my job with the National Health Service in the UK nearly five years ago now; I’d already started my first book by th

Interview Author Gabriella Messina

Interview Author Gabriella Messina Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read?  A.  I’ve found that, as I continue to grow as a writer, I’ve grown more selective as a reader. I tend to choose books from the same genres that I write… mysteries, historical fiction, fantasy… and I gravitate back to older books more than newer. I like stories that move at a good, steady pace, almost like a well-made film; that isn’t preachy, but still, give you something to think about; and that have well-developed characters that act like real people.  Q2.when did you decide you were going to write a book? I’d been  A.writing screenplays since the early 2000s and I’d gotten some notice for them, but getting into that industry is notoriously difficult and expensive. Then I learned about the rise of indie publishing, KDP and such, and decided to try adapting the stories into novels. Q3. How did you come up with the name of your books?  A. Poetry, songs, 

Beaches i have been to and what i found and saw on the beach!

I have traveled so much with my family having a stepdad who travels for his job has been a blast and a blessing we have lived in so many places and got to see a lot of beaches this is me at myrtle beach. we loved myrtle beach, I found a lot of seashells there too and we saw birds and dead jellyfish and more, This is me when I was at north myrtle beach my family came in to town to visit us so we went to north myrtle beach and I find a cute little   hermit crab rolling around on the ocean floor so I picked it up and showed my aunt what I have found don't worry we put it back in the ocean.  honeymoon island in Florida loved it there we saw so many cool things and I am carrying my purple bag to find seashells I love seashells I have so many that I collected know we saw a sea turtle there and some birds and fish and I loved the sea air and how it smelled.  Hudson beach in  Hudson Florida that was beautiful too we went there for my sister autumns birthda