Skip to main content

interviewing author James M. Becher



Q1 When did you decide you were going to write a book?
  

A. In 1969, In St. Petersburg  Jr. College, FL,  I submitted one of my stories, A Biblical fiction short story set in the time of Christ, to a magazine contest and it won 2nd prize.  In 1974, after graduating from college (Clearwater Christian College) and Seminary (Biblical School of Theology in Hatfield, Pennsylvania) I went back to that prize-winning story and decided to expand it into a novel by adding more characters and drawing out the plot. Thus, my first book began. Shortly after starting this book I got the idea for my second book, a purposeful time-travel novel.  So I started work on both.


Q.2 how did you come up with the name of your books?


A. Naming my books came somewhat naturally, Since my first book is a Biblical novel, it was natural to choose a title from the Bible, and, since my novel contrasted the earthly kingdoms of the time with the kingdom of God, I chose the phrase which Jesus spoke in Mark 10:14-15 concerning the necessity of childlike faith to enter the kingdom of God: Of Such Is The Kingdom.    Later, my wife told me of a dream she had which related to the title.  It's in the dedication.
My only non-fiction book is linked to my first book, Of Such Is the Kingdom since I use illustrations from the novel to highlight various points in the self-help book. So I wanted to keep the word "Kingdom" to tie together the two books and, since the self-help book is about Biblical success principles, I called it Principles of the Kingdom and subtitled it God's Success Principles.
The title of my second published novel was also a no-brainer: By journeying in time, my characters try to accomplish something which is impossible-thus, the title, Impossible Journey, I then came up with the subtitle: A Tale of times and Truth.
As to the title of my last book, that was easy as well. The book developed out of a sermon I preached called "The Christmas Victory," and I titled the book by the same name. The subtitle took a little more thought, but since my original publisher came up with a cover with a bow on the front, I decided to make the subtitle" "A Gem of a Sermon, All Wrapped Up in a Historical  Novel."

Q. 3 what are you working on now for 2018?

A. The first six months of 2018 (Jan.-June) were spent editing, revising and expanding my books, editing them with pictures and different fonts, re-doing the covers and making additional editions of two of them. I am planning promotions and worldwide presentations, and also to submit to make movies.   Right now I am trying to set up a book signing event in Pembroke Pines, FL.

Q 4. how long have you been writing?   I felt that I wanted to serve 

A. the Lord as a writer Since my teenage years.  I started writing the--poems, articles and short stories.    

Q 5. What advice would you give other authors?

A. Follow your passion, pray for guidance,  and don't give up.

Q 6. where can people find you online? 

My Author's Den page: 

A. https://www.authorsden.com/jamesmbecher 
My Bublish profile: http://bit.ly/1QoXm2N 
My Facebook Author page: https://www.facebook.com/JamesMBecherAuthor/ 
My FaithSpace profile: http://faith-space.com/profile/JamesMBecher 
My Twitter profile: https://twitter.com/ChristsWriter 
My Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/James-M.-Becher/e/B008CI93FU/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1538430512&sr=1-2-ent
My "My Unique Novels" blog: https://jamesmbechersuniquenovels.blogspot.com/ 
My "Evangelistic Fiction" blog: https://uniqueevangelisticnovels.blogspot.com/

Q7 Do you plan on making more books in the future?   

A. If it's the LORD’s will.  At present, I have no plans to start another book, but, with God, you never know. I had no plans to write my last one. My plans now are strictly for promotion

Q 8 how many books have you written?

A.4 main books (3 novels and a non-fiction self-help book), but this year the LORD led me to make more editions of two of them. "Of Such Is The Kingdom" is in 3 parts, and each part is published separately, but there is also the complete 3-part edition, thus giving buyers a choice.  I also made a special Christmas Gift Edition of "The Christmas Victory." with red ribbons at chapter heads and pictures scattered throughout, so now the total is 8 books

Q 9 Did you go to college to be a writer?   Not really.   I took a one-

A. semester creative writing course, in Jr. college, but that's all.    It was not my major.

10. What is your purpose in writing? My main purpose in writing is 
A. to reach non-Christians with the saving good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Thus, even my non-fiction book has the gospel message, and I prefer to think of my novels as being "Evangelistic fiction" rather than "Christian fiction." For the difference, see my article on the last listed blog above. It is my hope that Christians can catch the vision of using fiction as an evangelistic tool to reach their unbelieving friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing Author Shannon Taylor Vannatter

Interviewing Author Shannon Taylor Vannatter Q1. Tell us about yourself. What are your favorite books to read? A. I started reading clean romance when I was fourteen. I married my high school sweetheart and worked as a hairdresser for ten years. Once insurance became important, I went to work at a bank and the corporate offices of a large fragrance company. After our son was born, I became a stay at home mom. I love reading Christian Contemporary Romance. Q2. Where did the inspiration to write come from? A. There came a time when I couldn’t find anything clean anymore when I was in my early thirties, so I decided to write what I wanted to read. My characters kept praying and talking to God and I realized I was writing Christian romance instead of merely clean. It took me nine and a half years to get published. Q3. How did you come up with the titles of your books? A. I start with a working title that fits the theme of the book. Sometimes, I change it as

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read? A. I’m 61 years of age and was born in the Northern Textile Town of Huddersfield in England where I still live with my partner. I like many genres of books, but I don’t like anything too dark; before I retired I worked for many years in Mental Health Services in the UK, so I had more than my fill of ‘life’, and the ups and downs it can throw at people. So, I tend to go for books that offer escapism, I also like history, autobiographies, and biographies. At the moment I’m enjoying the fictional book ‘The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates. I say I’m retired, but I now consider myself to be an author, I treat it as a full-time job, working on my books for several hours most days. Q2. when did you decide you were going to write a book? A. I retired from my job with the National Health Service in the UK nearly five years ago now; I’d already started my first book by th

Beaches i have been to and what i found and saw on the beach!

I have traveled so much with my family having a stepdad who travels for his job has been a blast and a blessing we have lived in so many places and got to see a lot of beaches this is me at myrtle beach. we loved myrtle beach, I found a lot of seashells there too and we saw birds and dead jellyfish and more, This is me when I was at north myrtle beach my family came in to town to visit us so we went to north myrtle beach and I find a cute little   hermit crab rolling around on the ocean floor so I picked it up and showed my aunt what I have found don't worry we put it back in the ocean.  honeymoon island in Florida loved it there we saw so many cool things and I am carrying my purple bag to find seashells I love seashells I have so many that I collected know we saw a sea turtle there and some birds and fish and I loved the sea air and how it smelled.  Hudson beach in  Hudson Florida that was beautiful too we went there for my sister autumns birthda