Skip to main content

Interviewing Author Alice Charlotte Ievins





Interviewing Author  Alice Charlotte Ievins








Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read?



A. Hello! I live in Bristol, England, where I am currently on maternity leave, having the enormous privilege of looking after my son, Nathan. I can’t believe he’s now seven months old! Normally I work as a small animal veterinary surgeon. I have to say that dogs are my favorite animal to work with! I have always been dog-obsessed and own a cuddly, adventurous Labrador called Summer, who normally comes to work with me. She can always bring me back to my cheerful self, no matter how long and stressful the day is. I also live with my husband, Sam, who has to put up with the various sick animals I bring home (mainly wild birds). I am part of a wonderful church called Emmanuel City Centre.

My favorite books include ‘Pride and Prejudice’, Brandon Sanderson’s ‘Mistborn’ trilogy, ‘The Bird and the Sword’ and the first two books in ‘The Mark of the Lion’ trilogy.







Q2. When did you decide you were going to write a book?



A. I have written stories for as long as I can remember. The first books were about a group of kids who ran away and became rulers of all the sharks in the sea. Worryingly they all got married at the age of 12-14 but that was old to my 8-year-old self! I wrote my first full-length novel at 11. It was about a magician’s apprentice who was bad at magic. Then throughout my teenage years, I wrote epic fantasy after epic fantasy that my poor parents had to read, even when they went over 200,000 words! As a child, I was badly dyslexic and struggled with sentence structure and spelling to the extent that many of my early stories were illegible until I typed them up. It took me much longer than all the other children in my class to both write and type, but I just loved to tell stories and have never been able to stop telling them. Slowly I developed techniques to get around my dyslexia and now it never holds me back.

My first published book, ‘Sarah’s Footsteps,’ is about a girl becoming a Christian at university. I wrote it the year before and after I graduated as a reflection on all the people I’d seen come to faith at university. I felt it was really important to tell their story. (Sarah’s Footsteps is aimed at over 16s due to some of the mature themes discussed and has mild language.)

‘The Fox and the Train’ and ‘The Flawed Princess’ came as an overflow of my love for speculative fiction and fantasy.







Q3. How did you come up with the name of your books?



A. ‘Sarah’s Footsteps’ came to me very quickly. It’s because the main character, Izzy, is following her best friend, Sarah’s, footsteps as she explores faith.



‘The Fox and the Train’ I chose because I wanted it to sound quirky and I loved the multiple double meanings within the story



‘The Flawed Princess’ was more difficult. I started with ‘The King and the False Princess’ but then thought that the king has a much lesser role than the heroine, even though they fall in love. Therefore I cut it down to ‘The False Princess’, but unfortunately, there was already a book of that name in the same genre, so it became ‘The Flawed Princess’, referring to the heroine's clubfoot,





Q4. What are you working on in 2019?



A. ‘Leaving’ is due 2020 and is the sequel to Sarah’s Footsteps’, though will be able to stand alone. It is written for Christians and deals with depression and why so many new grads fall away from God in those first few years out of university. I am finding it pretty hard to write. (I started it in 2016!)



‘Queen Avan’ is a prequel novella for ‘The Flawed Princess’. I hope to also be releasing it in 2020 since I write young adult fantasy much faster than the other genres.





 Q. 6. What advice would you give other authors? 



A. Never stop writing. No matter how successful you are or how many people read what you have written, if you love it, don’t let anyone put you off. It’s amazing how much my writing style has changed over the years of practice and how much it has helped me order my thoughts for logical arguments and beat my dyslexia. I would never give it up.

Also, it’s amazing how much paying for a professional editor helps!






Q. 7. Where can people find you online?



A. Do come and talk to me! 



https://www.facebook.com/sarahsfootsteps/ - my author page.



https://www.facebook.com/groups/AliceIvinya/ - for the fantasy side.



Alicegent.com - my website



https://mailchi.mp/0e212a879f8f/alicegent - to subscribe to my newsletter



Sarah’s Footsteps and The Fox and the Train are available in all the normal places, including Amazon.



‘The Flawed Princess’ is coming to amazon only and is due to be released in September under a different pen name, Alice Ivinya.



 Q. 10 Did you go to college to be a writer?



A. No, I went to become a vet and loved every minute of it! I certainly had some adventures which I’m very tempted to write about in the future!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read? A. I’m 61 years of age and was born in the Northern Textile Town of Huddersfield in England where I still live with my partner. I like many genres of books, but I don’t like anything too dark; before I retired I worked for many years in Mental Health Services in the UK, so I had more than my fill of ‘life’, and the ups and downs it can throw at people. So, I tend to go for books that offer escapism, I also like history, autobiographies, and biographies. At the moment I’m enjoying the fictional book ‘The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates. I say I’m retired, but I now consider myself to be an author, I treat it as a full-time job, working on my books for several hours most days. Q2. when did you decide you were going to write a book? A. I retired from my job with the National Health Service in the UK nearly five years ago now; I’d already started my first book by th

Interview Author Gabriella Messina

Interview Author Gabriella Messina Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read?  A.  I’ve found that, as I continue to grow as a writer, I’ve grown more selective as a reader. I tend to choose books from the same genres that I write… mysteries, historical fiction, fantasy… and I gravitate back to older books more than newer. I like stories that move at a good, steady pace, almost like a well-made film; that isn’t preachy, but still, give you something to think about; and that have well-developed characters that act like real people.  Q2.when did you decide you were going to write a book? I’d been  A.writing screenplays since the early 2000s and I’d gotten some notice for them, but getting into that industry is notoriously difficult and expensive. Then I learned about the rise of indie publishing, KDP and such, and decided to try adapting the stories into novels. Q3. How did you come up with the name of your books?  A. Poetry, songs, 

Beaches i have been to and what i found and saw on the beach!

I have traveled so much with my family having a stepdad who travels for his job has been a blast and a blessing we have lived in so many places and got to see a lot of beaches this is me at myrtle beach. we loved myrtle beach, I found a lot of seashells there too and we saw birds and dead jellyfish and more, This is me when I was at north myrtle beach my family came in to town to visit us so we went to north myrtle beach and I find a cute little   hermit crab rolling around on the ocean floor so I picked it up and showed my aunt what I have found don't worry we put it back in the ocean.  honeymoon island in Florida loved it there we saw so many cool things and I am carrying my purple bag to find seashells I love seashells I have so many that I collected know we saw a sea turtle there and some birds and fish and I loved the sea air and how it smelled.  Hudson beach in  Hudson Florida that was beautiful too we went there for my sister autumns birthda