Skip to main content

interviewing Author Richard Wall





Q1. Tell me about yourself?

By day I’m a freelance Technical Writer, by night I write (or attempt to write) dark fiction and occasional poetry. I was born in rural Herefordshire, left home at 18 to join the Royal Navy. After 22 years spent on or around nuclear submarines, I retired to live in rural Worcestershire. 
As it says on my website, my stories reflect my life-long fascination with the dark underbelly of American culture in its many forms. You can find my work on Amazon, or via my website.


Q2.What are your favorite books to read?


A. My favorite book changes with the wind, but my favorite genres are crime fiction, supernatural thrillers (or any combination thereof). As for favorite authors, anything by Andrew Vachss, James Lee Burke, or Ran Walker will grab my attention.

Q3. When did you decide you were going to write a book?

A. . I’ve always enjoyed writing, and always wanted to write a book. My first ‘proper’ novel, FAT MAN BLUES came about following a bizarre conversation in a bar in Clarksdale, Mississippi. I began writing the scene as the opening chapter and the novel grew arms and legs.


Q4. How did you come up with the name of your book?


A. the name of my current book, NEAR DEATH, came about because it describes various facets of the story. The title FAT MAN BLUES came about because a bad guy is a fat man and it’s set in 1930s Mississippi.

Q5. What are you working on for 2021

A.For 2021 I’m working on the sequel to NEAR DEATH and also kicking around an idea for a paperback collection of all of my short stories on Kindle.

Q6. How long have you been writing?

A. I’ve been writing in one form or another since I learned to read. I began writing seriously around 2003 and self-published my first short story in 2012.


Q7.What advice would you give other authors?

A. Find your own voice, don’t try to write like anyone else. Believe in yourself. Make friends with a good editor.

Q8. Where can people find you online?

A. Mostly I use Twitter these days (@writinblues) and I’m also on Instagram (@richardawall). I have a Facebook account but I don’t post very often these days.

Q9. What is your favorite coffee drink?

A. I begin most mornings with a strong Italian blend brewed in a cafetière. 
Q10. What is your favorite coffee shop?

Q11. Do you plan on making a new book in the future?

A. I prefer to use independent coffee shops, rather than the Costa/Starbucks chains.


Q12. How many books have you written?


A. I’ve written 2 novels (3rd on the way), a bunch of short stories on Amazon, and a trilogy of supernatural spaghetti western stories that I wrote in collaboration with my friend the musician, Half Deaf Clatch (https://www.halfdeafclatch.com/).

Q13. Did you go to college to be a writer?

ANo, I left school at 16 and then joined the navy. Whilst serving I studied for a Masters's Degree in Technical Writing but have no formal creative writing qualifications.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read? A. I’m 61 years of age and was born in the Northern Textile Town of Huddersfield in England where I still live with my partner. I like many genres of books, but I don’t like anything too dark; before I retired I worked for many years in Mental Health Services in the UK, so I had more than my fill of ‘life’, and the ups and downs it can throw at people. So, I tend to go for books that offer escapism, I also like history, autobiographies, and biographies. At the moment I’m enjoying the fictional book ‘The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates. I say I’m retired, but I now consider myself to be an author, I treat it as a full-time job, working on my books for several hours most days. Q2. when did you decide you were going to write a book? A. I retired from my job with the National Health Service in the UK nearly five years ago now; I’d already started my first book by th

Interview Author Gabriella Messina

Interview Author Gabriella Messina Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read?  A.  I’ve found that, as I continue to grow as a writer, I’ve grown more selective as a reader. I tend to choose books from the same genres that I write… mysteries, historical fiction, fantasy… and I gravitate back to older books more than newer. I like stories that move at a good, steady pace, almost like a well-made film; that isn’t preachy, but still, give you something to think about; and that have well-developed characters that act like real people.  Q2.when did you decide you were going to write a book? I’d been  A.writing screenplays since the early 2000s and I’d gotten some notice for them, but getting into that industry is notoriously difficult and expensive. Then I learned about the rise of indie publishing, KDP and such, and decided to try adapting the stories into novels. Q3. How did you come up with the name of your books?  A. Poetry, songs, 

Interviewing Author Shannon Taylor Vannatter

Interviewing Author Shannon Taylor Vannatter Q1. Tell us about yourself. What are your favorite books to read? A. I started reading clean romance when I was fourteen. I married my high school sweetheart and worked as a hairdresser for ten years. Once insurance became important, I went to work at a bank and the corporate offices of a large fragrance company. After our son was born, I became a stay at home mom. I love reading Christian Contemporary Romance. Q2. Where did the inspiration to write come from? A. There came a time when I couldn’t find anything clean anymore when I was in my early thirties, so I decided to write what I wanted to read. My characters kept praying and talking to God and I realized I was writing Christian romance instead of merely clean. It took me nine and a half years to get published. Q3. How did you come up with the titles of your books? A. I start with a working title that fits the theme of the book. Sometimes, I change it as