Skip to main content

Author Stefanie Potts





Q1. Please tell me more about yourself?

A. Stefanie is a wife and mother to four children, 3 boys, and a girl. Her family lives outside of Chicago.

Stefanie received a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education from Quincy University and currently works as a publishing associate for Coleman Jones Press.

Stefanie has a passion for supporting families in building strong bonds and relationships. Our society is dependent on raising strong children in our homes.

Her first book focuses on sibling relationships starting in the womb. What better way to foster a relationship with siblings than through love? 


Q2. What are your favorite books to read?

A. I am often on the go and find it difficult to read books. I tend to stick mostly to inspirational devotionals. It encourages reading every day and gives me something positive to look forward to and implement in my life.

Q3.Do you like coffee or tea?

A. I like them both, especially a good iced coffee, or in the winter I enjoy some of the seasonal flavored coffees, but I really love tea. I often will make a big cup of tea and drink it throughout the day starting in the morning as hot and when it is cool, I will often add ice to it and also drink it as ice tea. 

Q4. How many books have you written?

A. I have one book that is published and I have another one in the publishing process. I have a list of several others that are in different stages of the writing process, from a beginning idea all the way to almost ready to submit for publishing.

Q5. Do you have a favorite bookstore?

A. I don't have one, but any bookstore with someone that is passionate about books and is excited to tell me about new and exciting books.

Q6. Did you go to college for writing?

A. My degree was in Elementary Education, my strengths are more in the math and science field. I still shock myself. I wrote a book and have others on the way.

Q7. Growing up What were your favorite books to read?

A. I loved the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. They were always so uplifting and loving. They were an easy read, you could pick it up and read a short story or continue to the next story if you had time.

Q8. How did you get inspired to write a book?

A. I most certainly did not choose a writing career. I defiantly never imaged the title author behind my name. Writing chose me, or shall we say God has a funny sense of humor.

Growing up, I struggled to read. If I’m honest, I wasn’t a proficient reader until my second semester of college when I took Introduction to teach Reading as one of my major courses to receive my Bachelor of Science in Education.

I had many strategies I learned over the years as a student to get by, but reading was always a struggle; however, I did love stories. In fact, I still love to listen to people tell stories. I love to watch movies for the storyline. I loved to listen to people tell their life stories. I am fascinated by people’s relationships with others.

Graduating with a degree in Education and spending some time in a local public school system, I came to know just how important reading was. Books help students on so many levels. In your early years of school, it is said that you learn to read, but as you progress through the grades (about 3rd grade in the United States/8years old), there is a shift in learning. The shift is from learning to read, to reading to learn. This makes it quite difficult for students like I was to be successful in school. If you still have not mastered the art of reading you quickly fall behind in everything. Subjects you used to excel in now have become a struggle. Not because the subject itself is a struggle, but rather you are not able to keep up with the reading and comprehend the content. Talk about a blow to one’s self-esteem. The things you thought you were good at suddenly become a struggle.

Even when students struggle to read, books can still be used as tools to help with life experiences, transitions, and major life changes. In a school, setting books are often used to introduce a new topic or skill.

When I finally became pregnant with my second child, my first child was already 4 years old. So, he was old enough to have a conversation about a new baby entering our home.

So, what does every good teacher do????? That’s right, I searched high and low for the perfect big brother/big sibling book. There are many out there some of which are wonderful at explaining basic changes in the home. You are going to have to wait. Help mom gets a diaper……….  Yet, some of them were not so great, at times it felt they were even creating animosity in the home towards the new baby, by resenting the changes in the home. It was almost as if some of these books portrayed the baby as a homewrecker.

Through all of these books, I felt like there was one specific topic or theme I was looking for that I just couldn’t find. It was the theme of bonding with a new sibling through love and appreciation. I wanted to foster a relationship between my children before my second was even out of the whom.

About this time, I came across a quote by Toni Morrison. She wrote, “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” It was as if she had written that quote just for me at that moment. Ha Funny! I put that into the back of my mind and went about my life.

As I approached the end of my second pregnancy, I had a story playing over and over again in my head.

There was about a week straight of me awakening out of a deep sleep with this story playing in my head. I felt as if it was a nudge from God to write this book.

Finally, about 6 or 7 days of being woke up in the dead of night, I got out of bed and typed a manuscript of what would eventually become my book. It didn’t take but 45 minutes to write. I saved it on my computer with the intention of never picking it up again. I did my job. I wrote the story down. There was nothing that was going to become of it. Remember, I couldn’t even read as a child; so, how could I write a book?

Time went on and I became pregnant with my third child. The book crossed my mind again. Gosh, what a shame, here is another great opportunity to use a book that fostered love and relationships between siblings right from the womb.

Then I had this great thought!!!! If this really was God’s way of nudging me and this really was his will, He would make it happen. All I needed to do was send it to a few mainstream children’s publishers and the rest was up to God. It was going to be a BESTSELLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I did exactly that. I sent it off to all the big publishers of children’s books, that I could find. AND……………………………….. I didn’t hear back from a single one.

Ok, well then I heard unless you have a Big Name or a national story or event that happened in your life it’s near impossible to get a big publisher to pick up your book.

So, I tried some smaller publishers I found online; however, most of them wanted between $10K and $15K to publish my children’s book. Although I had felt like God had gifted me this idea for a children’s book, He certainly didn’t gift me the finances to support it. I also didn’t believe the publishers were all that interested in my story. It appeared they were interested in my money. After all, I didn’t feel like I got all that much for the money I was to give them. They just got your book published and they were done, the rest was up to you.

Maybe I misread God’s nudges. Maybe this was not His will, but secretly my will. I was done; I wasn’t supposed to be an author anyways.

My heart was quiet for a time, but the book always came back to haunt me.

I started following other authors and their pages on Facebook. I read their publishing stories and I networked. I did a lot of searching and a lot of listening.

I came across a publisher that seemed to align with my book. I set up a meeting to discuss the possibility of working with them to publish my book. It was like divine intervention. This publisher seemed as interested in my story as I was. The vision for my book became whole. They expanded the purpose of my book beyond what I had even envisioned. It felt like it was meant to be. The best part….. This was not just a “Here’s your book, good luck!” This was a working relationship. Alongside, publishing my book they were investing in me as a person and marketing my story. They gave me the tools to get my book out there. They offer all kinds of training to continue to share my story.

My favorite part of my publishing journey……. Along the journey with this publisher…………. I became pregnant with my fourth baby, my first girl. Totally by coincidence or maybe more by God’s plan that I did not see…… My book became life and available for purchase on the very same day I gave birth to my daughter. There was an overwhelming sense of completion. At that moment it felt as though Matthew 25:21 had been written just for me. “His Lord, said unto him, Well done, thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.”

This may be the end of my journey to getting this book published, but I know this is not the end of my story. I look forward to where this book takes me and what other stories God has to tell through me.

This was not an easy journey, but it’s one I’m sure glad I followed. It was worth the ride.

 

Stefanie Potts – Author of On My Way

Mom blogger at Purposely Parenting 365 on Facebook and Instagram


Q9. What hobbies do you have?

A. I love crafting. I can sew, crochet, knit, and work with a die-cut machine.

Q10, Do you have a favorite coffee shop?

A. No.

Q11. Where can people find you online?

A. I have a parenting page on Facebook.

My book is available on Amazon and also several independent bookstores.
--



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace

Interviewing Author Grahame Peace Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read? A. I’m 61 years of age and was born in the Northern Textile Town of Huddersfield in England where I still live with my partner. I like many genres of books, but I don’t like anything too dark; before I retired I worked for many years in Mental Health Services in the UK, so I had more than my fill of ‘life’, and the ups and downs it can throw at people. So, I tend to go for books that offer escapism, I also like history, autobiographies, and biographies. At the moment I’m enjoying the fictional book ‘The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates. I say I’m retired, but I now consider myself to be an author, I treat it as a full-time job, working on my books for several hours most days. Q2. when did you decide you were going to write a book? A. I retired from my job with the National Health Service in the UK nearly five years ago now; I’d already started my first book by th

Interview Author Gabriella Messina

Interview Author Gabriella Messina Q1. Tell me about yourself what are your favorite books to read?  A.  I’ve found that, as I continue to grow as a writer, I’ve grown more selective as a reader. I tend to choose books from the same genres that I write… mysteries, historical fiction, fantasy… and I gravitate back to older books more than newer. I like stories that move at a good, steady pace, almost like a well-made film; that isn’t preachy, but still, give you something to think about; and that have well-developed characters that act like real people.  Q2.when did you decide you were going to write a book? I’d been  A.writing screenplays since the early 2000s and I’d gotten some notice for them, but getting into that industry is notoriously difficult and expensive. Then I learned about the rise of indie publishing, KDP and such, and decided to try adapting the stories into novels. Q3. How did you come up with the name of your books?  A. Poetry, songs, 

Beaches i have been to and what i found and saw on the beach!

I have traveled so much with my family having a stepdad who travels for his job has been a blast and a blessing we have lived in so many places and got to see a lot of beaches this is me at myrtle beach. we loved myrtle beach, I found a lot of seashells there too and we saw birds and dead jellyfish and more, This is me when I was at north myrtle beach my family came in to town to visit us so we went to north myrtle beach and I find a cute little   hermit crab rolling around on the ocean floor so I picked it up and showed my aunt what I have found don't worry we put it back in the ocean.  honeymoon island in Florida loved it there we saw so many cool things and I am carrying my purple bag to find seashells I love seashells I have so many that I collected know we saw a sea turtle there and some birds and fish and I loved the sea air and how it smelled.  Hudson beach in  Hudson Florida that was beautiful too we went there for my sister autumns birthda